Sunday, December 18, 2011

How to Finger Knit

I was crocheting a scarf at the football field a few months ago. We spent a lot of time there for practices and waiting for games to start. I guess my idea caught on because another preteen girl started to bring some yarn with her to the games/practices. I noticed that she only used her fingers to create something so I googled finger knitting. I am so glad I did.

In the past I have tried to teach crochet to my kids, ages 6, 8, and 10, but it never seemed to connect. Finger knitting on the other hand, does work for this age group. So I watched a few videos on YouTube, made one myself, and then taught the kids. The first one or two were not so pretty but then they really caught on. They turned it into a business and sold some to their friends to give to their parents for Christmas! My eight year old son made one for me in less than an hour one morning while waiting at the pediatrician's office and was with me later in a store when the lady complimented me on it - he was super excited and she was very impressed that he made it. I suppose it is not often that an eight year old boy knows how to knit but all the kids love doing it. He has been begging me for three days to buy more yarn. Just a tip, if you are going to try it, make sure you buy really thick yarn and don't forget your Michael's coupon!

Oh, one more benefit, the kids are really still and quiet while they are doing it! It takes concentration.



For the Pom Poms at the end of the scarf:

No comments:

Great Deal on Pork Roasts at Food Saver This Week!

With the food prices about to rise dramatically due to the draught out West, you may want to stock up on this great deal.  Food Saver has po...